What is Virtualization
Virtualization is changing the mindset from physical to logical.
What virtualization means is creating more logical IT resources, called virtual systems, within one physical system. That’s called system virtualization. It most commonly uses the hypervisor for managing the resources for every virtual system. The hypervisor is a software that can virtualize the hardware resources.
There are two types of hypervisors:
- Type 1 hypervisor: hypervisors run directly on the system hardware – A “bare metal” embedded hypervisor,
- VMware ESX and ESXi
- Microsoft Hyper-V
- Citrix XenServer
- Type 2 hypervisor: hypervisors run on a host operating system that provides virtualization services, such as I/O device support and memory management.
- VMware Workstation/Fusion/Player
- VMware Server
- . Microsoft Virtual PC
- Oracle VM VirtualBox
- Xen Hypervisor (Low To Moderate Use)
- Nitro Hypervisor (Moderate To High Use)